November 23, 2020, 11:52:42 AM

Author Topic: It's Time: 1st All Packer Mock Draft w/D.T.  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
It's Time: 1st All Packer Mock Draft w/D.T.
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »
A lot can change over the course of 2 weeks. Just two weeks back we were looking at drafting 15 which would have put us in a prime position to go many directions: A stud DL, T'eo at ILB, possible top Corner of the draft, and if Thompson decided to...even an OT or top Guard.

Now after two weeks we are now drafting at 25 and hopefully even lower, like 32 when it's all said and done. We're not in rebuilding mode after this season, but maybe a mini-overhaul as our aging stars might depart and we lose some other top talent due to money, injury, age/declining, or underachieving. This player list includes: WR Donald Driver, WR Greg Jennings, TE Jermichael Finley, Corner/Safety Charles Woodson, Center Jeff Saturday, RB James Starks, OLB Zombo, LB Jones.

DL Pickett is getting up there and while still effective, has a very high salary, which makes his future uncertain also.

Now it's possible maybe Woodson does something like Driver did this year and takes a cut to play one more season, but he could also decide to hang it up after this year as well. With Woodson out hurt for 4 to 8 weeks, we should have a pretty good look into the future w/o him and know if we have the player on the team that can take over his role, or if we need to draft one. Best case if we are drafting near the end of every round is that we already have that player and need to add another for depth.

A lot of worries at Center for the future. Many fans think we need to draft one early. However, there hasn't been that plug in and play types in recent drafts and Centers have a lot of responsibilities as they make the OL calls for protections and the like. Plus there is some of the football world that think it's EDS's job to lose and that he should be ready.

Ideally, would love to grab a DL in round 1 and get an impact guy to add to this group. But history is against those odds the later in the round we pick. Generally speaking, there has been an average of 5 to 6 DLs taken in round one.

So where do we go? Well, after re-loading the cupboards the last 3 years, Thompson is able to go back to letting the draft come to him and take BAP approach again  in each round. This isn't saying he might not see him do some trading around to get his targets though. But seeing as this is only the first Mock with a long ways to go, we'll get into possible trades after the Combine and stuff are done as the draft nears.

So first the re-signings: CB Sam Shields, OLB Erik Walden, TE Tom Crabtree, C/G EDS, LS Goode, LB Francois And unlike some others think RB Benson is brought back.

Now for the Picks.......

Selecting at pick 32 the GB Packers surprise most and select WR Da'Rick Rogers Tenn-Tech 6-3 208 4.4 (40) Former Tenn player was off the team for undisclosed reasons. His new school said they did background and found him to be a good teammate, hard worker etc. Has had no troubles at new school. Known to catch almost anything thrown his way, makes the tough catch, play slot or outside, can take the tough hits over the middle, tough runner for additional yards after catch and speed to be a deep threat,  potential to be a number 1 Go-To WR. Draws some comparisons to Julio Jones.

Reasoning: Nelson,Cobb, and Jones are all good WRs, but w/o Jennings have no true #1WR. Jones will be a free agent in '14 and playing out the last year of his deal and Nelson becomes a free agent in '15. Rogers is projected to be off the board by mid-round 2 which means no shot at a WR of his caliber at pick 64. Thompson has looked at drafting a WR in the first round in 3 of his drafts here and has yet done it. Rogers is the type of player with size, speed and hands to finally give Aaron a Go-To WR to pair up with Cobb and Boykin for the next generation. So this fills an immediate and future need at the same time. Would have liked a DL, OG/C, or Top CB here, but am projecting the players that fit our scheme to be off the board by pick 32.

At Pick 64 of RD 2: CB Justin Gilbert Oklahoma St. 6-0 195 4.48 (40) A dual pick as Gilbert is also one of the top returners in the Country. With Cobb leaning towards a starter on the Offense, the team might want to have him lesson his return duties. Gilbert is a good Corner in his own right as well with the size and speed Thompson likes. With House or Hayward taking over Woodson's duties, need for another corner is filled.

Round 3: TE C.J. Fiedorowicz Iowa 6-6 265 4.65 (40) can't take credit for this one, my friend palmy at another site gave me the scoop on this player. And this is the TE you want to replace Finley with as the kid is willing to do whatever it takes, is a good blocker besides receiving. Other players are getting the press, but this kid can be the every down TE in the mold of NE's- Gronk.

Comp 3 for Flynn: Center Mario Benavides Louisville 6-4 290

Round 4: RB Mike Gillislee Florida 5-11 210 4.49 (40)

Round 5: NT/DL Mister Cobble Kentucky 6-0 332 5.3 (40)

Round 6: DE/DL Craig Roh Mich 6-4 280  4.87 (40)

Offline BrianShetty

• HOF Member
Re: It's Time: 1st All Packer Mock Draft w/D.T.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
A lot can change over the course of 2 weeks. Just two weeks back we were looking at drafting 15 which would have put us in a prime position to go many directions: A stud DL, T'eo at ILB, possible top Corner of the draft, and if Thompson decided to...even an OT or top Guard.

Now after two weeks we are now drafting at 25 and hopefully even lower, like 32 when it's all said and done. We're not in rebuilding mode after this season, but maybe a mini-overhaul as our aging stars might depart and we lose some other top talent due to money, injury, age/declining, or underachieving. This player list includes: WR Donald Driver, WR Greg Jennings, TE Jermichael Finley, Corner/Safety Charles Woodson, Center Jeff Saturday, RB James Starks, OLB Zombo, LB Jones.

DL Pickett is getting up there and while still effective, has a very high salary, which makes his future uncertain also.

Now it's possible maybe Woodson does something like Driver did this year and takes a cut to play one more season, but he could also decide to hang it up after this year as well. With Woodson out hurt for 4 to 8 weeks, we should have a pretty good look into the future w/o him and know if we have the player on the team that can take over his role, or if we need to draft one. Best case if we are drafting near the end of every round is that we already have that player and need to add another for depth.

A lot of worries at Center for the future. Many fans think we need to draft one early. However, there hasn't been that plug in and play types in recent drafts and Centers have a lot of responsibilities as they make the OL calls for protections and the like. Plus there is some of the football world that think it's EDS's job to lose and that he should be ready.

Ideally, would love to grab a DL in round 1 and get an impact guy to add to this group. But history is against those odds the later in the round we pick. Generally speaking, there has been an average of 5 to 6 DLs taken in round one.

So where do we go? Well, after re-loading the cupboards the last 3 years, Thompson is able to go back to letting the draft come to him and take BAP approach again  in each round. This isn't saying he might not see him do some trading around to get his targets though. But seeing as this is only the first Mock with a long ways to go, we'll get into possible trades after the Combine and stuff are done as the draft nears.

So first the re-signings: CB Sam Shields, OLB Erik Walden, TE Tom Crabtree, C/G EDS, LS Goode, LB Francois And unlike some others think RB Benson is brought back.

Now for the Picks.......

Selecting at pick 32 the GB Packers surprise most and select WR Da'Rick Rogers Tenn-Tech 6-3 208 4.4 (40) Former Tenn player was off the team for undisclosed reasons. His new school said they did background and found him to be a good teammate, hard worker etc. Has had no troubles at new school. Known to catch almost anything thrown his way, makes the tough catch, play slot or outside, can take the tough hits over the middle, tough runner for additional yards after catch and speed to be a deep threat,  potential to be a number 1 Go-To WR. Draws some comparisons to Julio Jones.

Reasoning: Nelson,Cobb, and Jones are all good WRs, but w/o Jennings have no true #1WR. Jones will be a free agent in '14 and playing out the last year of his deal and Nelson becomes a free agent in '15. Rogers is projected to be off the board by mid-round 2 which means no shot at a WR of his caliber at pick 64. Thompson has looked at drafting a WR in the first round in 3 of his drafts here and has yet done it. Rogers is the type of player with size, speed and hands to finally give Aaron a Go-To WR to pair up with Cobb and Boykin for the next generation. So this fills an immediate and future need at the same time. Would have liked a DL, OG/C, or Top CB here, but am projecting the players that fit our scheme to be off the board by pick 32.

At Pick 64 of RD 2: CB Justin Gilbert Oklahoma St. 6-0 195 4.48 (40) A dual pick as Gilbert is also one of the top returners in the Country. With Cobb leaning towards a starter on the Offense, the team might want to have him lesson his return duties. Gilbert is a good Corner in his own right as well with the size and speed Thompson likes. With House or Hayward taking over Woodson's duties, need for another corner is filled.

Round 3: TE C.J. Fiedorowicz Iowa 6-6 265 4.65 (40) can't take credit for this one, my friend palmy at another site gave me the scoop on this player. And this is the TE you want to replace Finley with as the kid is willing to do whatever it takes, is a good blocker besides receiving. Other players are getting the press, but this kid can be the every down TE in the mold of NE's- Gronk.

Comp 3 for Flynn: Center Mario Benavides Louisville 6-4 290

Round 4: RB Mike Gillislee Florida 5-11 210 4.49 (40)

Round 5: NT/DL Mister Cobble Kentucky 6-0 332 5.3 (40)

Round 6: DE/DL Craig Roh Mich 6-4 280  4.87 (40)

I have no qualms over your draft because it is still early but there is no way we get that high a comp pick for Flynn if anything I see the highest being a 6th rounder
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:41:23 AM »
While I agree that we won't get a 3rd round pick for Flynn, I greatly disagree that we will get no better than a 6th round pick for Flynn. It's said that the biggest determining factor for comp picks is salary, and Flynn was signed for $19.5 million over 3 years with $10 million guaranteed. That's pretty good money.

As for the mock draft, I'm not a big fan of Rogers in the 1st round. I really like Gilbert in the 2nd round as I see him as more of a 1st rounder. I'm not a big fan of C.J. Fiedorowicz in the 3rd. There are a lot of TE's I like more such as Eifert (who won't last until the 3rd most likely), Levine Toilolo, Zach Ertz, and Dion Sims. I don't know if those guys are off the board in your scenario or not, but those are the guys I like better. I also think this is where we can start considering FB Trey Millard OKLAHOMA who I absolutely want to get. There are also set to be some really good ILB's in the 3rd round. I'm a big fan of the Florida RB in the 4th. I think he'll probably be gone by that point but if he's there snatch him up. As for the Kentucky DT in the 5th, I don't know much about him. I'm going to have to look him up as I've seen him in a few mock drafts now. It seems like everybody likes and wants Craig Roh, but nobody puts him highly. I have him at the top of the 5th, but we're really not talking much of a difference when we get that low from the top of the 5th to the bottom of the 6th. No 7th round pick? TE Mychal Rivera TENNESSEE would be a good option if he's there, even if we take your TE in the 3rd. JMO's
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:16 AM »
No way do we get anything near a 3rd for Flynn.
However, we may be a 4 and 5 for Flynn and Wells.  (Best case scenario.)  And maybe TT can trade around to ultimately get us a 3'rd, but it will be at the cost of other picks.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
While I agree that we won't get a 3rd round pick for Flynn, I greatly disagree that we will get no better than a 6th round pick for Flynn. It's said that the biggest determining factor for comp picks is salary, and Flynn was signed for $19.5 million over 3 years with $10 million guaranteed. That's pretty good money.

As for the mock draft, I'm not a big fan of Rogers in the 1st round. I really like Gilbert in the 2nd round as I see him as more of a 1st rounder. I'm not a big fan of C.J. Fiedorowicz in the 3rd. There are a lot of TE's I like more such as Eifert (who won't last until the 3rd most likely), Levine Toilolo, Zach Ertz, and Dion Sims. I don't know if those guys are off the board in your scenario or not, but those are the guys I like better.

Yes have been seeing Ertz and Sims off the board before late round 2 lately. Have been on Ertz for awhile and had hoped for a round 2/3 pick of him, but seems he's on the rise out there.

I also think this is where we can start considering FB Trey Millard OKLAHOMA who I absolutely want to get.

FBs generally much later in the draft now days thanks to all the spread offenses.

There are also set to be some really good ILB's in the 3rd round.

I'm still working on the ILBers and would like to see one, but don't think we Have to have one. Would take a T'eo of course because he would be an upgrade to everyone but Bishop and his impact as a leader and intangibles, but don't see no way of us ever getting near him. But for ILBers, later in the draft is someone going to be an upgrade over what we have and Hawk or are they for depth and development? If the later part then we don't need to go there. Remember Thompson gave up picks to get Manning, so don't think he'll be so fast to give up and abandon him.

I'm a big fan of the Florida RB in the 4th. I think he'll probably be gone by that point but if he's there snatch him up. As for the Kentucky DT in the 5th, I don't know much about him. I'm going to have to look him up as I've seen him in a few mock drafts now. It seems like everybody likes and wants Craig Roh, but nobody puts him highly. I have him at the top of the 5th, but we're really not talking much of a difference when we get that low from the top of the 5th to the bottom of the 6th. No 7th round pick? TE Mychal Rivera TENNESSEE would be a good option if he's there, even if we take your TE in the 3rd. JMO's

2 Points:  1.) was running out of time to put out the 7th rd pick.

2.) Used the 3rd rd comp pick as an example, not as set in stone for what i think the comp pick will really be. But the position/player addressed there could just as well be as the 4th comp pick selection...get the idea? cool....

Offline BrianShetty

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

As for the mock draft, I'm not a big fan of Rogers in the 1st round. I really like Gilbert in the 2nd round as I see him as more of a 1st rounder. I'm not a big fan of C.J. Fiedorowicz in the 3rd. There are a lot of TE's I like more such as Eifert (who won't last until the 3rd most likely), Levine Toilolo, Zach Ertz, and Dion Sims. I don't know if those guys are off the board in your scenario or not, but those are the guys I like better.

Yes have been seeing Ertz and Sims off the board before late round 2 lately. Have been on Ertz for awhile and had hoped for a round 2/3 pick of him, but seems he's on the rise out there.

I also think this is where we can start considering FB Trey Millard OKLAHOMA who I absolutely want to get.

FBs generally much later in the draft now days thanks to all the spread offenses.

I'm still working on the ILBers and would like to see one, but don't think we Have to have one. Would take a T'eo of course because he would be an upgrade to everyone but Bishop and his impact as a leader and intangibles, but don't see no way of us ever getting near him. But for ILBers, later in the draft is someone going to be an upgrade over what we have and Hawk or are they for depth and development? If the later part then we don't need to go there. Remember Thompson gave up picks to get Manning, so don't think he'll be so fast to give up and abandon him.

I'm a big fan of the Florida RB in the 4th. I think he'll probably be gone by that point but if he's there snatch him up. As for the Kentucky DT in the 5th, I don't know much about him. I'm going to have to look him up as I've seen him in a few mock drafts now. It seems like everybody likes and wants Craig Roh, but nobody puts him highly. I have him at the top of the 5th, but we're really not talking much of a difference when we get that low from the top of the 5th to the bottom of the 6th. No 7th round pick? TE Mychal Rivera TENNESSEE would be a good option if he's there, even if we take your TE in the 3rd. JMO's

2.) Used the 3rd rd comp pick as an example, not as set in stone for what i think the comp pick will really be. But the position/player addressed there could just as well be as the 4th comp pick selection...get the idea? cool....

I just wish that this comp pick stuff was just told to the fans so we could get the right picks at the right time XP
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »

I just wish that this comp pick stuff was just told to the fans so we could get the right picks at the right time XP

Better yet, get rid of the comp picks as they are incredibly stupid and just add an 8th round.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!