October 17, 2019, 10:53:39 PM

Author Topic: WR Tavon Austin is fast  (Read 2478 times)

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
WR Tavon Austin is fast
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:51 AM »
We all knew Austin had elite quickness, change of direction and body control. You can now officially add speed to that list after his smoking 4.25 forty.

Certainly there are more pressing concerns elsewhere, particularly on defense, but if he's clearly the BPA then he should probably be the pick. So what if we already have Cobb? There's no rule against fielding multiple WR who routinely turn short passes into big gains.

One possible concern would be his prospects for long-term durability. Can a player that size last long enough to justify a high pick? I don't see why not. His great body control lets him dictate when and how hard he gets hit, so he can really minimize physical punishment if he wants to.

Yes, he's a bit short but he has a good enough skill set to develop as a WR. He's not a finished product as route runner, but he's no worse than Cobb coming out. It's his great speed and elusiveness that make him an elite prospect. He routinely makes guys whiff, in the open field and elsewhere. Defenders with great angles don't lay a finger on him. I think we can find ways to use that kind of player.

Why not?

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: WR Tavon Austin is fast
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
No doubt that Tavon Austin is crazy fast... and Marquise Goodwin appears to be at least as fast if not slightly faster.

To answer your "Why not?"

I worry about Travon being 5'9" 176 and struggling to translate his game to the NFL - though he will likely go in the first round. Ausin also has small hands and too often catches the ball against his chest instead of with his (small) hands. There are questions not only about can he survive NFL hits, but can he hold on to the ball after those big hits.

Marquise Goodwin, is exactly the same size, is just as fast if not faster, and will likley be around a round or two later in the draft if one wants to roll the dice on a small speed guy.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
Certainly there are more pressing concerns elsewhere, particularly on defense, but if he's clearly the BPA then he should probably be the pick?

At #26?  Not sure how Austin could possibly be the "clear" BPA at that spot in the draft.  If I'm going to roll the dice, I'd rather it be on a big body than a smallish speed WR.

It's also a little bit of a red flag to me that Austin is at the combine labeling himself as the best player in the draft.  Has me wondering if he's one of those guys who thinks his physical talent means he doesn't have to put in the work.

At the very least, his return skills would get Cobb off ST, and give Austin an immediate role while he develops as a WR.  I'm just not sure that's enough of a reason to select him at #26.

All that being said, when I look at Austin I can't help but think of a shorter Desean Jackson... attitude and all.  If he plays like Jackson, he'd certainly be worth the #26 pick.  That assumes MM is prepared to use him in a way that plays to his strengths.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:08:19 AM by Mazrimiv »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
How about Ryan Swope?

He ran a 4.35 and is taller, bigger and stronger.

And can be drafted later.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »
5'9", 174 is taller than I expected Tavon Austin to be, but the Packers want their receivers to be blockers. Cobb is only an inch or so taller but he is almost 20lb heavier and Cobb doesn't look that big. I be very, very surprised if we took him. You'd think an Aaron Dobson type (6'3", 210, good route runner) would fit the Packers better (with a later pick). Not a sexy pick, but there you go.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:13:00 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
He ran an official 4.34. I see Austin in the top 10.  Speed plus he is a tough match-up inside. Puts the defense in a tough spot.

Swope was a RB/WR in HS. Man among boys at that level with his speed.
Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Certainly there are more pressing concerns elsewhere, particularly on defense, but if he's clearly the BPA then he should probably be the pick?

At #26?  Not sure how Austin could possibly be the "clear" BPA at that spot in the draft.  If I'm going to roll the dice, I'd rather it be on a big body than a smallish speed WR.

It's also a little bit of a red flag to me that Austin is at the combine labeling himself as the best player in the draft.  Has me wondering if he's one of those guys who thinks his physical talent means he doesn't have to put in the work.

At the very least, his return skills would get Cobb off ST, and give Austin an immediate role while he develops as a WR.  I'm just not sure that's enough of a reason to select him at #26.

All that being said, when I look at Austin I can't help but think of a shorter Desean Jackson... attitude and all.  If he plays like Jackson, he'd certainly be worth the #26 pick.  That assumes MM is prepared to use him in a way that plays to his strengths.

From what I have read, this draft is very good for WR talent and there will be plenty available after first 2 rounds.  I would prefer defensive front 7 and OL help first.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
He ran an official 4.34. I see Austin in the top 10.  Speed plus he is a tough match-up inside. Puts the defense in a tough spot.

Swope was a RB/WR in HS. Man among boys at that level with his speed.

no way he goes in the top 10.  I love his speed but i wouldnt take him at 26.  too small and i would be worried he will be knicked up often.  even though he is stronger then i thought the 170+ body will have a hard time staying on the field taking hits every week. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:28 AM »
If the league as a whole increasingly emphasises big corners, like Seattle have, then there will come a time when the really fast smurf receivers can make a comeback. I don't think the time is quite right yet, though.

Of course a smurf receiver means a smaller catching radius, so you need an accurate QB, too.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:06:55 AM »
I think Markus Wheaton is a very real possibility in round 2. He had very good measurables at the combine. He seems like a Ted pick in round 2 imo.