November 13, 2018, 07:58:43 AM

Author Topic: Cullen Jenkins  (Read 4342 times)

Offline rpiotr01

• All Pro
Cullen Jenkins
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
Looks like Jenkins is back on the street. If TT is kicking the tires on Canty I have to imagine they'd do the same with Jenkins, especially since he's most likely now past the phase where he's going to cash in big time in FA.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
Re: Cullen Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
Canty is 3 years younger.
Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

50PoundHead

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm not going to pick on Jenkins.  He's an adult and he made his choice.  But I wonder if signing with the Packers at their offer plus the playoff money would have been more than his Eagles' deal.  Of course, when he signed with the Eagles, they were considered near-locks for the playoffs.

Wouldn't mind having Jenkins back, especially given the question mark on Worthy.  Wonder how much he'll get and who will be calling him?

Offline rpiotr01

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
Canty is 3 years younger.

True, but Jenkins has been an impact guy in our system before.

Frankly we need both types of players - the interior pass rush guy like Jenkins, as well as the tall, run stopping DE like Canty.

Offline ricky38

• Starter
Cullen Jenkins
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
Jenkins was released by the Eagles today. I really would not mind if the Packers signed him as a rotational player if they can get him at a decent price.

Offline HJTRAS

• Second String
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »
Honestly I am a little torn about this. Jenkins is a good locker room guy and we lost Woodson. Also it seems he would really like to come back. Unless he would except a minimum salary I would not do it. He really is not a true 3-4 DE but he would be a good situational pass rusher. its a tough call even at the right price. Stop gap player whom we may or may not need. tough call.

57packer

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
A true 3-4 DE by measurables, maybe not, but he sure could play the position.  I think that ship has sailed though.  A couple years older and more ready to break down as he'll be 33 years old by the start of next season.  I suppose if he came cheap, I could see it as a 1yr replacement for Worthy who I suspect won't play next season.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
I agree. His presence has been missed. He's definitely on the downslide, but with Worthy very much in question for next season, it's not a bad move at all. GB's d-line has struggled since he left. If they can land him for about a 2 year $7 million deal, I'd say it's absolutely worth it. He was still productive last season.

Offline EXIT_HERE

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
Hes wasn't productive last year, and was a bust as an eagle. Rather let the young guys get PT over clearly worn out Jenkins

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
Absolutely worth a min contract. I hope we offer that at least.
It's what it's.

Offline GJennings_85

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
I really have to say I think it's a bad move.  He's older now than he was when he left for Philly.  Back then, I really wish we had kept him, I think TT should have given up (what turned out to be) not that much more than what Philly offered.

Now, things are different.  He's that many years older.  His production is dropping.  *Maybe* he would produce more than one of the younger guys, but by how much and for how much $?  Not to mention, the impact of playtime for the younger guys.

Just doesn't make sense unless it were an emergency.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
We've really missed what Jenkins used to bring. However it would appear that TT let him go just about exactly one year early - as I recall his 1st year with Philly was pretty decent, his second year he hit the wall. At this point it would seem we would be signing a memory, not an actual current player. Perhaps the Philly scheme sucked and he has something left - that would be for our scouts and coaches to determine. But right now it looks to me like TT followed the NFL rule perfectly - better to let a player go a year early than a year late.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:39:54 AM »
We've really missed what Jenkins used to bring. However it would appear that TT let him go just about exactly one year early - as I recall his 1st year with Philly was pretty decent, his second year he hit the wall. At this point it would seem we would be signing a memory, not an actual current player. Perhaps the Philly scheme sucked and he has something left - that would be for our scouts and coaches to determine. But right now it looks to me like TT followed the NFL rule perfectly - better to let a player go a year early than a year late.

Agreed.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »
We've really missed what Jenkins used to bring. However it would appear that TT let him go just about exactly one year early - as I recall his 1st year with Philly was pretty decent, his second year he hit the wall.
And as the great Ron Wolf once said "It is better to get rid of a player one year too early than one year too late".
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »
Classic case of "wheel spinning". Maybe Johnny Jolly could be gotten cheaply? (This last written tongue-in-cheek, meaning its not meant to be taken seriously).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid