September 19, 2018, 10:02:40 AM

Author Topic: Cullen Jenkins  (Read 4329 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Cullen Jenkins
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »
At the Veterans minimum (which isn't cheap $925,000, but reasonable) he may be worth bring in.

However, Canty is bigger and two years younger. I would much rather see the Packers aggressively go after Canty and draft a defensive lineman than screw around with a 32 year old player who as Mark points out - may have been let go a year too early... but is not that same player today.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline rpiotr01

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:39:32 AM »
There is a story today in the MJS that GB is interested in Ricky Jean Francois from the 49ers. Not a pass rusher but a good rotational run stopper.

I think that's the name of the game this off-season - rotation. CMIII is a stud, Pickett is solid, Raji is solid, but after that it's a bunch of guys who can't or shouldn't be playing big roles right now. Worthy won't contribute; Daniels is nice but not a full time guy - very situational; Mike Neal cannot be counted on; CJ Wilson has proven a good late round pick but he's been dinged up and again, very limited in what he can do.

To that end I think we need to sign a couple DL in FA. Any two of Canty, Jenkins or Francois would be nice and won't break the bank. I understand full well that Jenkins isn't the guy he was 2 years ago, but who can honestly say that Mike Neal or Jerel Worthy - even if he wasn't coming off a blown ACL - are better, even now?

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
Hes wasn't productive last year, and was a bust as an eagle. Rather let the young guys get PT over clearly worn out Jenkins

I don't agree with Jenkins being "clearly worn out."  Jenkins was very productive as an Eagle(especially his 1st year) and he was definitely not a bust.  Just a few quick stats easily googled; He played all 32 games and in 2011 he had the 2nd most tackles in his career, 1st in solo tackles, 3rd most sacks at 5.5 and most stuffs with 6.  His 2012 season was comparable to any previous year of his career.  He is 32 years old with a contract (like most older players) that isn't justifiable for a team with a new coach/new coordinator/new system so they let him go - a typical move by a new regime.  He wasn't a bust at all though.   

I do agree that I'd rather play young guys (especially during a draft year that is strong in DL's, if not the prototypical DE we need) or sign a guy like Canty that better fits our size/length need at DE and a player we could maintain for more than 1 season.  If we draft another young DL we have a little more flexibility if Raji can't be re-signed or Pickett leaves.  If we bring in Jenkins this year than we are possibly faced with no Pickett, no Raji and no Jenkins.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 06:47:21 AM »
Hes wasn't productive last year, and was a bust as an eagle. Rather let the young guys get PT over clearly worn out Jenkins

I don't agree with Jenkins being "clearly worn out."  Jenkins was very productive as an Eagle(especially his 1st year) and he was definitely not a bust.  Just a few quick stats easily googled; He played all 32 games and in 2011 he had the 2nd most tackles in his career, 1st in solo tackles, 3rd most sacks at 5.5 and most stuffs with 6.  His 2012 season was comparable to any previous year of his career.  He is 32 years old with a contract (like most older players) that isn't justifiable for a team with a new coach/new coordinator/new system so they let him go - a typical move by a new regime.  He wasn't a bust at all though.   

Agree with this. I think he could be very productive on our line.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
If he wants back to Green Bay, I don't see why we shouldn't give it a shot. He would be back in our familiar scheme with players he has played along side of. Our rotation needs all the help he can get, and I think he would help a lot.

grabthar

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
He's meeting with the Giants tomorrow.