September 14, 2019, 10:36:08 PM

Author Topic: Joe Flacco wants $20 million/year...and might get it.  (Read 7747 times)

Offline rpiotr01

• All Pro
Re: Joe Flacco wants $20 million/year...and might get it.
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/04/is-joe-flacco-better-than-aaron-rodgers/

according to this author, flacco is better than aaron rodgers.

To each his own, but I don't buy the "one hit wonder" argument. Fact is Baltimore has always had a solid all around team. Maybe not elite powerhouse stuff but always upper half. Flacco never had to deal with a turnstyle, small offensive line. He's always had a good RB. Their D has been competent, if not very good. What's the over/under on number of times the pretty immobile Flacco would be sacked with our offensive line this year? 65?

If you want to make a statement about which Packer is overrated, I'd say Ted Thompson is overrated as a team builder. His teams, with the exception of 2010, have had some glaring weaknesses, especially on D and overall in the trenches.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/04/is-joe-flacco-better-than-aaron-rodgers/

To each his own, but I don't buy the "one hit wonder" argument. Fact is Baltimore has always had a solid all around team. Maybe not elite powerhouse stuff but always upper half. Flacco never had to deal with a turnstyle, small offensive line. He's always had a good RB. Their D has been competent, if not very good. What's the over/under on number of times the pretty immobile Flacco would be sacked with our offensive line this year? 65?

If you want to make a statement about which Packer is overrated, I'd say Ted Thompson is overrated as a team builder. His teams, with the exception of 2010, have had some glaring weaknesses, especially on D and overall in the trenches.

Seriously?  TT is overrated?  You don't win 10+ games 6 times in the past 8 seasons while drafting near the end of each round every April after those big seasons.  If it weren't for the depth TT has provided our coaches we wouldn't have won that SB or the division this past season because of all of our injuries.   

Offline rpiotr01

• All Pro
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »

Seriously?  TT is overrated?  You don't win 10+ games 6 times in the past 8 seasons while drafting near the end of each round every April after those big seasons.  If it weren't for the depth TT has provided our coaches we wouldn't have won that SB or the division this past season because of all of our injuries.

I'm not saying he's terrible, I think he's done a great job. He's often spoken of as a top 5 drafter in the game, and I just don't think it's so. He's done well in some areas, OK in others, but too often below the Mendoza line at OL, DL and RB for me to say he's one of the best. Entire areas of our team are consistent weak spots because TT hasn't been able to find adequate players for the position. Not that he hasn't tried; but that he's tried and failed.

Yes, we have competent players down the roster, which is great. But I have to give a lot of the credit for those 10+ win seasons to having two HOF caliber QBs (one of which TT drafted - all props in the world to him for that). The team isn't as well-rounded as it needs to be.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
Statistically, his first 5 years as a starter haven't been much different than Tom Brady's first 5 years as a starter.

First 5 years...
Brady: 3 SB W's
Flacco: 1 SB W

Significantly different.

I know you are talking about their QB stats, but ask any QB and they'll tell you that Super Bowl Titles is the schiznit.
Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
I saw today where Flacco is going to end up being the highest paid player in football.  WHAT A  JOKE!  Flacco has been an above average qb at best his entire career.  He had a very good postseason and deserves to be rewarded.  If I were the ravens I would franchise his ass and hope someone signs him to an offer sheet.  Skill-wise I would put Flacco somewhere between 10-15 when it comes to qbs.  I just can't believe this guy is going to make more than Brady, Manning, Brees etc..

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »
@JayGlazer
Ravens have agreed to a new contract with QB Joe Flacco. He will sign it on Monday

@JayGlazer
Again, Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco has agreed to terms on a new deal with the Ravens. He will sign it Monday. Waiting on terms

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
I saw today where Flacco is going to end up being the highest paid player in football.  WHAT A  JOKE!  Flacco has been an above average qb at best his entire career.  He had a very good postseason and deserves to be rewarded.  If I were the ravens I would franchise his ass and hope someone signs him to an offer sheet.  Skill-wise I would put Flacco somewhere between 10-15 when it comes to qbs.  I just can't believe this guy is going to make more than Brady, Manning, Brees etc..

I cannot think of 10 QBs I would take before Flacco... considering how he has played in playoffs the last 2 years.  But I do think $20million a year is a bit much as well.

QB position is becoming more and more overvalued it appears.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
6 years 120.6 million per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9006059/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-reach-agreement-according-source

Yup! $20,100,000 per season is the new NFL QB benchmark that you can bet Aaron Rodgers and his agent are taking note of as they begin talks with the Packers on an extension...
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »

I cannot think of 10 QBs I would take before Flacco... considering how he has played in playoffs the last 2 years.  But I do think $20million a year is a bit much as well.

QB position is becoming more and more overvalued it appears.

Which means the NFL rules to protect (over protect) these guys will jump up as well. IMO.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
I've not followed the Ravens what could be called "super close" - basically waited till they got past the Steelers-hump before paying them any attention. I will confess however that I didnt have the impression Flacco was a wasted talent - i.e. - the teams inability to get over that hump was caused by a lack of talent holding Flacco back.

Maybe its just a "QB market thing" - which doesnt bode well for the Packers as I believe AR to be a superior talent.

I've no clue what the Ravens revenue market is oR their profit margins - given the "local" competition - it might not be as high as one might suspect - but I'd be interested to know how it stacks up to the Packers.

I'm also a Laker fan - and that teams way past the NBA cap - with revenue tied up by a few players and few good options. I'd hate to see the Packers resources tied up in a similar way. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »

I'm not saying he's terrible, I think he's done a great job. He's often spoken of as a top 5 drafter in the game, and I just don't think it's so. He's done well in some areas, OK in others, but too often below the Mendoza line at OL, DL and RB for me to say he's one of the best. Entire areas of our team are consistent weak spots because TT hasn't been able to find adequate players for the position. Not that he hasn't tried; but that he's tried and failed.

Yes, we have competent players down the roster, which is great. But I have to give a lot of the credit for those 10+ win seasons to having two HOF caliber QBs (one of which TT drafted - all props in the world to him for that). The team isn't as well-rounded as it needs to be.

Its difficult to be well rounded when so many of your players end up on IR every year.  This is something I find more troubling than our GM.  I can't think of many teams winning their division with the last 3 first round picks on IR.   :-\

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »
@NFL_ATL
Flacco's deal "in essence" 3 years, @AlbertBreer said on @NFL_AM. Due $29M in 4th year, which "will not be workable" unless cap explodes.